About Elle Anderson
Elle is a gardener, print maker, photographer and installation artist. Through her passion for the environment and while gardening she finds inspiration for her arts practice.
Elle was born in Aruba, Dutch Antilles, where she spent the first 5 years of her life. She is of Dutch decent and has lived in New Zealand since 1981.
Elle’s Art Practice:
Plants are present in our every day lives. Some, like those defined within a garden, engage our consciousness, but many we are not aware off.
They are simply there; forming and changing backgrounds and textures in the world around us, they are commonly considered weeds.These plants arrive without notice, taking up spaces and places we may have temporarily neglected.
Elle enjoys exploring the ephemeral qualities of plants in those in-between places through the processes of print and photography. She seeks to investigate ‘these transient characteristics of nature & plants’ by capturing a permanent image of things that are only short lived – stopping nature’s clock.
Much of her work is spontaneous: a response to the ceaseless, dynamic seasonal changes that continuously alter nature’s face.
- Master in Fine Arts (honours) - Whitecliffe College of Art & Design.
- Bachelor in Visual Arts, University of Auckland, 2013
- Diploma in Visual Arts, Manukau Institute of Technology - MSVA, 2009
- Certificate in Adult and Tertiary Education, Auckland Institute of Technology, 1991
- Bachelor of Horticultural Science, Massey University, 1987
- A Few Old Weeds - 22 March - 15 May 2017. John Hill Estate Gallery, Hunua, Auckland. NZ
- Second Glance- 8 April - 7 May 2016. Photospace Gallery, Wellington, NZ
Selected Group Shows:
- White Night -18 March. Greenwoods Corner, Orb Interior Design, Maniac road, Epsom. NZ
- SGC International Conference - Themed Portfolio. Hello. I love you. I’m Sorry. 15 till 19 March 2017. Atlanta, USA.
- Across the Ditch - Collaboration between Australian & New Zealand Printmakers. 4-28 Feb. Taylor Jensen Gallery Palmerston North, NZ
- UNFOLD - Group Show. 5-23 Nov. Depot Artspace, Devonport, Auckland NZ
- Across the Ditch - Collaboration between Australian & New Zealand Printmakers. 16-125 Sept. Impress, Brisbane Australia. 14 Oct- 3 Nov @ Can Byron Street, Napier, NZ
- Poetics - Group show. Whanganui Art Centre. 12-27 August. Whanganui, NZ
- BAFOP II - 8 June- - 7 July 2016. group show. Black Asterisk, Ponsonby Auckland, NZ
- Hunter Dreamer Stranger Thief - 6-23 February 2016 - Group show. Depot Artspace, Devonport, NZ
- MFA Masters exhibition - 17- 21 January. 2015 Pearce Gallery, Parnell, Auckland, NZ
- Left-field; an eclectic mix - 27 Sept - 17 Nov 2014 John Hill Estate, Hunua, NZ. Show with Left-Field Artist Alliance.
- OUR AWK WORD LAND - 22 August - 15 Sept 2014. Nathan Homestead, Manurewa, Auckland. Show with 4 other artist.
- Off Shoots - Exhibition with Anna Scott & Toni Mosley at John Hill Estate, Hunua, Auckland. 23 November 2012 - 20 January 2013
- From river to shore
- PCA Collaborative Print -
Australia: Gallery 48, Townsville, Q Australia 4810 - September to early October.
The Tanks Art Centre, Cairns Australia - a 'stand-by' program waiting to see for November.
WCA Whanganui - 12 – 28TH August.
Estuary Arts Centre, 214 Hibiscus Coast Hwy, Orewa, North of Auckland September 2016
Can Gallery, Napier - 14TH October – 3 November.
Alfred Memmelink Gallery Petone - 1ST October – 31ST October .
Taylor Jensen Fine Art Gallery, Palmerston North. February 2017
- SGCI Themed Portfolios - 31 march-2 April. 14 Aotearoa/NZ Printmakers themed portfolio for SGCI International print conference. Portland, USA
- Thinking of Place - 6 April- 12 May. Post Office Gallery, Ballarat, Cairns, Australia
- White Night, Auckland Arts Festival. 12 March 6-12pm. Greenwoods Corner, Orb Interior Design, Maniac road, Epsom. NZ
- Waikato Society of Arts - NZPP Awards - 20-28 February. Hamilton garden, Hamilton, NZ. Finalist.
- Thinking of Place - 11 Jan- 20 Feb 2016 - KickArts Contemporary Arts, Australia
- Image streams - 11 December - 30 January. Fresh Gallery, Otara, NZ
- Image streams - 11 December - 30 January.Fresh Gallery, Otara.
- Thinking of Place - 29 August - 13 September.Depot Artspace, Devonport, Auckland and 29 June - 18 July. in Eastside Gallery, Christchurch.
- Glaister Ennor Art Awards - 26 - 31 May. Sanderson Contemporary Art, New Market, Auckland.
- NZPPA Salon Des Refuses exhibition - 24 April - 1 June. Chartwell Gallery, ArtsPost Hamilton.
- Image Streams - 3 April - 10 May . MIT Alumni show at Nathan Homestead, Auckland.
- MAC First Impressions II - 4th March - 3rd April. Mairangi Arts Centre.
- Adaption - 4 - 21 March. Warwick Henderson Gallery, New Market, Auckland.
- Impressive V - 24 Jan-28 Feb. Franklin Arts Centre, Pukekohe.
- Impressive V - 28 Oct - 29 Nov 2014. Nathan Homestead, Manurewa, Auckland.
- Antipodes - 11-22 Nov 2014. CPANZ print exchange between NZ and Australia. Sydney, Australia
- Astarte Art Group - Works Acquired during 2011-2014 Show. 1st October 2014. The Sustainability Trust EcoCentre, Te Aro, Wellington.
- Antipodes - 14 Sept - 1 Oct 2014. CPANZ print exchange between NZ and Australia. North Art, Auckland, NZ
- Flora Fauna Floribunda - 6 Sept - 1 Oct. New Zealand Academy of Fine Arts, Wellington.
- Botanica - 22 April to 4 May 2014. Exhibtion representing nature around us. Matchbox Gallery Wellington.
- IMPressive IV - 25 October - 17 November. Nathan Homestead, Manurewa, Auckland.
- First Impression - 9 Oct - 9 Nov. National Print Exhibition at Mairangi Art Centre, Auckland.
- Impressive III - 19 October - 11 November. Nathan Homestead, Manurewa, Auckland.
- Ko Aotearoa Tenei - 3 - 26 February. Nathan Homestead, Manurewa, Auckland.
- Baker’s Dozen - 9-31 January. Nathan Homestead, Manurewa, Auckland.
Curator for Southern Graphic Themed Portfolio - representing 14 NZ print makers.
June 2015 - current
Involved - Coordinating 13 other artist to create an individual print and a collaborative print, Liaise with SGCI team in Portland, USA, Applying to other venues to show the portfolio, Manage FB page to create interest in the project
Curator at John Hill Winery estate, Hunua
October 2011 - December 2013
Work involved; Calling for interest, Hanging work, Promotion through local news papers and network, Organizing open evening, Liaising with owner & general manager of John Hill Estate and Artists. Organized 7 solo or group shows and numerous local artist shows
Selection of Exhibitions at John Hill Estate which I curated are:
- Left-field; an eclectic mix - Group show of 8 artist
- Caught Between Two Worlds, Solo exhibition by Linda Newlands. 27June - 11 August 2013
- Culture, Identity, Participation & Art - Group Photographic exhibition, 23 May - 23 June 2013
- Rise & falls of a Journey - Solo exhibition Alan Williams. 28 Feb-14 April 2013.
- Off shoots - 24 Nov 2012 - 20 Jan 2013. Exhibition with Toni Mosley, Anna Scott and myself. Co-ordinated this exhibition, install of the work and made contact with all local papers , created PDF promotional pamphlet for the exhibition and the invitation.
Nominations, Scholarships & Awards:
2015 - Nominated for the Glaister Ennor Art Awards
2012 - Awarded the Dulcie Bowman Memorial Scholarship
Received a High Achievement Award for the final year of my BVA
IMPressive III - Nathan Homestead Print Award 2012
- Artist Alliance
- Print Council Aotearoa New Zealand
- New Zealand Academy of Fine Arts, Wellington
- Depot Artspace - Ponsonsby